this morning we came across this woman and her son (or grandson). She has walked by every so often, I wave hi and try to smile BIG, and she keeps walking. One afternoon the little boy couldn't take it and ran to say hi to the kids. She quickly came over, grabbed him, and they kept walking. My smiles must have paid off because today she tried to talk to me. I am guessing the reason she was so nervous is that she only knows a few words of English. Usually this wouldn't phase me because I can understand a decent amount of Spanish, but this sweet woman (who couldn't even understand when I asked her what her name is) only speaks Chinese. So, there you go-a very good reason to be hesitant, sometimes I want to walk on the other side of the street just because I get anxious about not knowing people. After all, how many people in Southern California that are caucasian with 6 blonde/dirty blonde kids speak fluent Chinese? So, we settled for hand signals and her few words and maybe, just maybe we will be able to share a little more each day that we see each other. Her little guy is sure a cutie and I know Ry would love another little neighbor friend.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Next time, say "Nihao!" (Nee How) She'll be surprised!
P.S. Love the new photo topper! Did your sister take it?
Yep-Jenna took the picture back at the end of May/oops-1st of June. I am liking it! :-)
Post a Comment