Thursday, April 26, 2007

Machu Picchu 4-17-07 beginning to end

All of us at Machu Picchu-this was actually at the end of the day,
but seemed like a good first picture!
Beware-this is a long post because Machu Picchu was so incredible.
We started our day at 5:30 am (After waking up, having breakfast, and meeting the cab driver). We went to the train station and this was our train-Vistadome 1 (FYI$113/person round trip for those thinking of making the trip-and worth every penny!)

Garth and I before the train left the station. This is probably the only time in history that Garth will look more sleepy than I do! I am not sure how this happened, but I am glad I have proof for the next 20 years-he is such an early bird!
(Maybe it is because I managed to sleep so much in between ruins-completely unlike me!)
Our snack for the trip to Machu Picchu Pueblo (formerly known as Aguas Calientes).
Garth and I right as we arrived. This is before we even went in all the way to see the ruins!
Garth with Machu Picchu in the background!
Another view of Machu Picchu!
Dad taking a rest on a SUPER old rock!
Mom & Dad Isom-they were great travel companions! We had so much fun with them-and that isn't even including the plethora of information they have about the ruins from their previous 5 trips!! Thanks for calling and coming with us!
Another part of Machu Picchu!
More water-the built in gutters! It rained a bit that day as you can tell from the umbrellas!
Do you notice the nubs that they used to lash the roof to-how cool is that?

I admit it-I love to kiss him!
Look at how big the doorway is-not that Garth is gigantic or anything. But the sheer size of everything is absolutely amazing!
They even thought to have niches to keep things in!
Notice the intricacy of the angles, the ability to cut them, et cetera. Also notice the spot-maybe for a beam or something? Just amazing!


A stone that has been broken (a director damaged it in 2005 & now it is roped off) and bath/shower area. I found all of this fascinating.
Me being a little bit silly.
Garth and I after a long day at 8200 feet above sea level! Back on the train and ready to head home for some sleep!
Our snack on the way home. Everything was served really nicely-kind of like on an airplane.
Me getting off of the plane. (We forgot to take a getting on the train!)
My very handsome husband that I love so much getting off the train!
I had such a great time with him!

And that's all of Machu Picchu...somewhere I honestly thing everyone should try and go to at this point. I definitely want to go back again-hopefully in a couple of years with some of my family, we are planning an Isom Family trip in 5 years, and hopefully as often as possible the years after. I would love my kids to see all of this and take it all in-not just Machu Picchu, but all of Peru!


1 comments:

Laura Nipper said...

Awh you guys are so sweet and in love. Looks like you had a great time and Peru looks so pretty. Now back to Mommyhood. :)