

Our family took part in a demonstration Monday late afternoon/evening where all the members from our building (3 wards) lined one of the main roads here in Temecula (the other 2 buildings lined 2 other roads). It was such a wonderful experience for us as a family. It helped that we had a lot of positive responses, but just to teach your children that you should stand for what you believe has been an empowering experience period. Of course our local newspaper put a picture of the HUNDREDS of people lining the street with an article about 1 (yep, 1) dozen students that stayed home from school for a sitout protesting the CTA donation. Give me a break-the picture of us lining the street AFTER school hours with that article was TOTALLY misleading-that's journalism for you! ;-) Anyway, we didn't really appreciate the people that gave us the finger (especially with all of the young kids around-I guess no on 8 doesn't believe in any kind of decorum or protecting our kids from anything vulgur, now do they?) and the people that gave us the thumbs down I could at least respect the fact that they weren't flipping off our 3 year old!
Back to the fact that it was a great experience for us. I love the activism feel-the high from know you are supporting something true and right! These pictures aren't the best-and why we didn't get a family picture like Rachel I have no idea. I really need to get better at this...
PS We all took a turn with the signs that we had-and those not holding a sign at the moment just waved. Very peaceful, very powerful, very unifying!
2 comments:
Thank you. We need more Isom families in CA.
Wasn't that a great night!! I was a little irritated with the newspaper article, too. Talk about one sided!! We were over at the duck pond and experienced the same positive response. Isn't it nice to know where our city (mostly) stands on Prop 8!!
Post a Comment