Saturday, August 23, 2008

Walking, walking, walking...for Prop 8


This is an old picture, but I needed a walking picture. ;-) Garth is out today walking the neighborhoods here in Temecula in support of Proposition 8. For those of you in California, you might remember Proposition 22 that passed in 2000 with a huge majority? Prop 22 defined marriage as between a man and a woman and changed the California Family Code. Well, the Supreme Court here overturned Prop 22 with a vote of 4-3. Ridiculouse, huh? I love California, but I am not a big fan of politicians in any state (not that there aren't exceptions-there are a few I really admire (see this post). Anyway, if passed, Proposition 8 would override the ruling of our obviously idiotic supreme court (I can say and think what I want on my own blog, right?) that overruled the 1977 law and Proposition 22 that both supported marriage as being between a man and a woman.
So, what does this mean? It means that my husband is gone this morning going house to house to let voters know that Prop 8 will be on Novembers ballot. And as I am at home watching our beautiful children (that haven't been arguing for at least 30 minutes) I am blogging about this important Proposition. The ramifications of Prop 8 not passing would be detremental! I could go into this or that, but let's just say that the 61% of people that voted that marriage should be between a man and a woman should stand. Period. 4 San Francisco based judges should be able to overturn it.
Visit Protectmarriage.com for more information. Inform yourself...and please vote yes on Prop 8. And, if you have the time, consider volunteering to help! You can walk, make calls, donate money, etc. or all of the above plus some. I know that Garth and I are feeling the need to get involved more in those areas that we believe in. So, consider doing the same. Get involved in your communities through your example, time, and definitely with your vote! :-) Have a great Saturday!

0 comments: