Friday, January 15, 2010

The BYU game, kindness, and gratitude

Our family at the BYU game
This is a story. It may or may not be long. We'll see. I'll start at the beginning. I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I love that we can keep in touch with others near and far. I hate that is sucks up time. I am trying to find the balance. One of my efforts has been to not check as much (unless I have nothing better to do-like when Garth is on the phone while we are driving and I am bored...just as an example). So, we were driving home from the temple and you'll never guess what. Yep, Garth was on the phone and I was bored out of my mind. Facebook it is. I notice my good friend, Polly, has posted "Anyone want 2 tickets to the BYU game in SD? First to comment gets them." (Umm...heck ya, I am thinking) So, I comment. And Polly emails me. I am thrilled to go to the game and have a date with Garth. I know the kids are going to be bummed and I feel a teensy bit guilty, but to tell the truth-I knew I would get over it and so would they.

Polly and I email back and forth and then I get
the strangest message on my phone.
"Janelle, this is Polly. How many kids under 10 do you have?" What? (I should mention that Polly is amazing-but she doesn't live in SD anymore and hasn't seen my kids since Ry was less than a year old. So, that she needed to ask their ages was not a surprise.) I call her. She lets me know that the tickets were actually her parents. When her Mom found out that we had kids she decided to purchase tickets for our kids as a surprise and then because Polly's parents are so kind and sweet she purchased tickets for our whole family to attend the tail gate party beforehand. In one generous act she humbled my heart, made my kids' year, and testified of the fact yet again that our Heavenly Father loves us and looks out for us. Really.

Construction hasn't been the greatest through
this economy. And there are things we just can't do. I know everyone is probably shocked, but 6 kids can be expensive. And ours aren't very spread out. (But we love them...don't mistake that.) So, this kind, sweet couple gave us the gift of kindness and BYU football. Literally the only football we watch. (Well-that and the Super Bowl.)
I know there will never be an adequate way to repay Polly's sweet family or Polly for being my friend. But I hope that one day Garth and I will listen to that prompting of the Spirit when a family could really use kindness (and BYU football) from afar. Because I know how it feels to receive it-and I can only hope to one day give it.

We are so thankful for the Smith family (who doesn't read our blog...). You have touched my heart. I am so thankful for the lesson not only I, but each one of my children, learned.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

We're so glad you guys all got to go and that you could cheer on our Cougars! It looked like a lot of fun!

caseytanner said...

Go Cougars!!