If I have talked to you on the phone, seen you at the school (or not seen you) it is because I have been holed up in my house sewing 19 EAK quilts for Trevon's class celebrating their accomplishments the past 6 months. There is a basic format for the quilts that is used year after year here in Alpine, but Trevon's teacher gave me a little latitude in designing some of the squares (the rule was simple and easy enough an EAKer could do it). I went and bought all of the fabric, cut it up, found all of the paints, stamps, and other items to do the blocks. The Moms in the classroom completed all the blocks with the kids in 1 week! Awesome! And then they came home to me to iron on the pictures, piece them together, and so on...
I don't sew a lot (not because my Mom didn't teach me how, but because I don't particularly love it-I would rather cook a 7 course meal!), but after finishing on the 14th at 3 am was glad for the opportunity to do some community service. Not to mention if the other kids love their quilts as much as Trevon-it was well worth the time and effort.
Above is a sample of one of the quilts (taken at 8:00 am right before Garth was running Trevon to the Martins so that she could take the quilts and Trevon to school for me-THANK YOU LISA!) as well as what all 19 of them looked like crammed into 2 trash bags.
They came out pretty okay and I think the kids and I are going to design some "drive-in" quilts this summer. We will see how our time goes, I guess I had better get scheduling! :-)
So, that is what I was doing from the day after Starlee's preschool graduating until 3 am on June 14th-go Creekside Early Learning Center! ;-)
*AND thanks to Suzanne and Crystal for piecing together 5 of the tops for me. The help was invaluable!
2 comments:
You're that super mommy for doing all of the sewing. Looks like they turned out great. I know how to turn to if I need a quilt.
The quilts look great!
Post a Comment